Women's Soccer USA

Coverage of women's soccer in the US. If it's not here...it's not important...

September 09, 2008

Where are they now: Michelle Akers

Always headstrong, Akers rejected North Carolina, the foremost women's soccer school, in favor of Central Florida. Tar Heels coach Anson Dorrance, who remains on the job today, didn't make a favorable impression.
"I didn't like the coach, so I didn't go there," she said. "I thought he was very conceited. Frankly, I thought my club team was better than his team. The way he pitched it, the package, the deal, the team, it just wasn't what I wanted to be part of. They were national champions, and I didn't like his demeanor. Central Florida wasn't polished, the forerunner, the expected winner. They were like blue-collar workhorses, and that's why I liked them."